Media Design

Semester 4

Final Grade: A

Content includes:

5 Design phases showing the development progress for the following:

Mission Statements, Logos, Fonts, Mood Photos, Character Illustrations, Vehicle Wraps, Billboard Advertisements, Printed/Magazine Advertisements, Commercial Storyboards, Packaging Designs, and Interactive Applications.

Summary notes from class textbook “Zag,” by Marty Newmeyer.
4th Design phase’s critiques from random audiences
5th Design phase’s critiques from 2 local professional business designers

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

What I've learned from the reviews & critiques

In our textbook, "Zag," by Marty NewMeyer he talks about a 'branded house' vs. a 'house of branding.'
In one instance, the company (house) is seperate from it's products and/or services so that one is not easily recognizable to another. This is a great way to protect the company's branding for the products in case one product is poorly branded or received a bad branding, like in the case of a bad media review.
One example could be Proctor & Gamble.

In the other instance, all products and/or services are easily recognizable to each other.
A good example in this case would be Disney; all of their products can be seen with each other. Their Cinderella character can be seen on the cover of a book along with Pixar characters, their Winnie the Pooh characters, and even their company mascot, Mickey Mouse.
This scenario not only shares the good but also the bad. When one brand falls, it may take all the others with it. The public may think, "Disney," instead of, "The characters and product line of Brother Bear."

With this review I found this was a perfect scenario between a branded house vs. a house of branding.
Since there have been few people to recognize the name, "Wizards of the Coast," they were quickly confused as to the purpose of the product and the direction of the mission statement itself.
To correct this issue I've decided to include and focus on one of their more easily recognizable product lines, "Dungeons & Dragons" for the rebranding.
With the fantasy theme I began and the direction I was heading in that seemed the perfect product to include to make my statements.

I also recognized that most people didn't understand the overall purpose of the assignment itself. Many even confused this assignment with my own personal project, which I have been rebranding in my Corporate Identity class. This product is a fantasy board game titled, "Realm Warfare."
I recognize this problem came from my instructions, which were not broken up into smaller, readable chunks. Because of the large size of text most people simply chose not to read it.

Other than that, I also did find it interesting how many consumers (target and otherwise) conflicted each other in their opinions.
Many suggestions I found helpful while others were completely off of the mark, due to the poor direction and instruction I provided.

Others were simply going against what was specifically required or instructed in class or the textbook, showing that the rebranding process really is a complicated system of steps; refining, retuning, repeat.
I included the summary of Marty Newmeyer's "Zag" textbook instructions on this blog to help encourage an understanding of the branding and rebranding process. I will keep my previous instructions in their error-format as an example of my miscommunication to my reviewing/critiquing audience.

All of the suggestions that I did find helpful and/or encouraging I am trying to incorporate into the final design. Hopefully the suggestions will assist the presentation to make more sense and bring all the elements together as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment